Christmas tart recipe with chocolate, orange and hazelnut
For a spectacular end to your Christmas menu try this festive tart filled with chocolately, nutty goodness
Photo credit: Clare Winfield
Bring something different to the table this festive season with this velvety homemade chocolate, orange and hazelnut tart. This indulgent pud mixes three flavours that work beautifully together – so make sure you leave some room!
Impress your family with the ultimate Christmas treat by following these 5 steps.
Prep 30 mins + chilling cook time 50 minutes serves 6-8
Ingredients for the pastry
- 100g cold butter
- 200g plain flour
- A pinch of salt
- 2 eggs
For the filling
- 300ml double cream
- 300g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- 1 egg and 2 egg yolks
- 100g caster sugar
- 100g hazelnuts, toasted, then chopped
- Zest of 1 orange
- Icing sugar
- Single cream
Up to 3 days ahead (minium 3 hours):
- To make the pastry, rub the butter into the flour until it resembles breadcrumbs. Add the salt, one of the eggs and mix until a dough forms. Add a little cold water if it’s too crumbly. Briefly knead, wrap in clingfilm and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the dough to about 3mm in thick. Line a 25cm tart tin, prick a few times with a fork, and return to the fridge for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 160°C/140°C fan/gas 3.
- Line the pastry with baking parchment and fill with baking beans, or old pasta – anything to weigh it down. Bake for 30 minutes until golden. Remove the baking beans and parchment. Beat the remaining egg and brush the pastry all over. Return to the oven and bake for another 5 minutes, then remove and leave to cool. Turn the oven down to 150°C/130°C fan/gas 2.
- Meanwhile, make the filling. Slowly bring the cream to a boil, then take off the heat and add the chocolate. Stir, then leave to melt completely. In a bowl, beat the eggs and sugar until pale and fluffy, then beat this mixture into the melted chocolate. Fold through the hazelnuts and orange zet. Tip into the pastry shell and bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Leave to cool completely, cover and chill or freeze for later.
- Dust with icing sugar and serve the tart with plenty of single cream.
Recipe take from Do-ahead Christmas: Stress-free Cooking for the Festive Season by James Ramsden, £16.99 (Pavilion Books), photography Clare Winfield