Candice Brown’s ginger and chocolate plait recipe
Bake Off winner Candice Brown’s ginger and chocolate plait recipe is the perfect dinner party showstopper. Baked with a variety of simple-but-sweet ingredients, this dessert is so divine your guests will be asking for seconds…
- 500g strong white bread flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp golden caster sugar
- 275ml whole milk
- 50g unsalted butter
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 7g instant yeast
- 1 egg
- 100g unsalted butter, softened
- 100g light soft brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 75g dark chocolate (minimum 70% cocoa solids), finely chopped75g crystallised ginger, chopped
- 25g unsalted butter, melted
- 20g demerara sugar
- Preheat oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4. Sift fl our into a large bowl and mix in the salt and sugar. In a pan gently warm the milk with the butter and ginger until the butter has melted.
- Make a well in the fl our. Add the yeast to the well, then pour in the warm milk followed by the egg. Knead by hand for 9-10 mins, until you have a smooth, stretchy dough.
- Shape dough into a ball, then put in a lightly greased bowl and cover with clingfi lm. Leave to rise in a warm place for about 1½ hours. When it has doubled in size, turn out on to a floured surface and fold over on itself to knock out the air. Roll into a 25x45cm oblong.
- Mash the softened butter, brown sugar, ginger and cinnamon in a bowl. Spread this evenly over dough. Scatter the chopped chocolate and ginger over the top. Taking one of the long edges roll up the dough tightly. Make sure the fi rst roll is tucked under.
- Gently roll out again to a 10x45cm rectangle. Cut lengthways into three strips, leaving a 2cm section at one end intact. Starting at the joined end, plait the strips together. Squeeze the ends together and tuck them under.
- Brush the plait with melted butter and sprinkle on the demerara. Line a baking sheet and dust with flour and carefully lift the plait on to it. Cover lightly with a tea towel and leave to rise for about 30 mins. Bake the plait for 45–60 mins until golden brown.
This recipe is an edited extract from Comfort: Delicious Bakes and Family Treats by Candice Brown (Ebury Press, £20)
Have you got any baking recipes you’d like to share? Tweet us @goodhomesmag or post a comment on our Facebook page
- Candice Brown’s nan’s florentines recipe
- Rocky road recipe in 5 simple steps
- Britain’s favourite bakes revealed