3 quick back-to-school dinner recipes
Dishes that can be served up in under 30 minutes!
Haven’t got much time in-between finishing work and taking the kids to their chosen activities? We know the feeling! Get inspired by these quick and easy recipes that take no time at all.
Coconut prawn & bean salad
A yummy, sweet and crunchy introduction to seafood.
Image: Crazy Jack
- 150g large raw king prawns
- 1 tbsp flour, seasoned (10g)
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- 65g Crazy Jack Desiccated Coconut
- 2 tbsp oil for frying
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 200g can butter beans, drained and rinsed
- 150g frozen edamame beans, defrosted
- 50g lambs lettuce
- 2 tbsp Crazy Jack Pumpkin Seeds (20g)
1. Toss the prawns in the seasoned flour, then dip each one in the egg first and then into the coconut to evenly coat.
2. Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the coconut prawns on a medium heat for 3-4 minutes, turning over halfway, until golden and cooked throughout.
3. Whisk together the lemon juice, oil and mustard, season. Mix together the beans and lettuce and toss in the dressing. Divide between 2 plates and top with the prawns, scatter with the pumpkin seeds and serve.
Tomato vegetable pasta
Grate the veg into the pasta to be more kid-friendly!
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 onion, diced (200g)
- 1 courgette, diced (300g)
- 1 red pepper, diced (180g)
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 400g cans, chopped tomatoes
- 50g tomato puree
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp LoSalt
- 25g pack basil, shredded
- 300g tagliatelle
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan and fry the onion for 2-3 minutes. Add the courgette, pepper and garlic and fry for a further 3 minutes.
2. Stir in the chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, suagr and LoSalt. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 15 minutes until thickened slightly. Stir in the basil.
3. Meanwhile, cook the pasta in boiling water according to pack instructions, until tender. Drain and stir into the sauce.
Get your little ones to try meat-free alternatives.
Image: The Tofoo Co
- 1 pack Naked Tofoo
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 red onion
- 1 red chilli
- 150g mangetout
- 300g of rice
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
For the marinade
- 50ml dark soy sauce
- 80ml water
- 2 tbsp light brown sugar
- 20g fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and grated
- 2 tbsp cornflour
1. Put all the marinade ingredients in a bowl and stir.
2. Cut the tofu into cubes and add to the marinade. Leave to marinate for 5-10 mins.
3. Start to cook the rice.
4. Heat a frying pan and add the oil.
5. Finely slice the onion and chilli then add to the oil and fry until softened.
6. Add the tofu and marinade to the pan and stir fry, mixing well. Cook for 5 mins until the tofu is warmed through and the sauce is thickened.
7. Add the mangetout, stir and cook for a couple of minutes so that the mangetout is still crunchy.
8. Serve with the rice and a sprinkling of sesame seeds.
Make sure to let us know whether you try out one of these yummy recipes. Tweet us @goodhomesmag or post a comment on our Facebook page.