Core of the month: Barbiecore
July 25, 2023
With the new Barbie film smashing box office records in its opening week, Barbiemania has swept the world and love it or loathe it, Barbiecore interiors are here to stay…
1. Barbie lounge
This Avalana Barbie Girl ombre wall mural is a thing of dreams for barbie lovers. Avalana Simpson, the creator of the mural says ”Pink is nurturing, playful and nostalgic – often taking us back to our childhoods and can be such a fun and playful hue to use in a space. Team it with luxurious accent chairs and rose gold accents.”
”The ombre murals can be printed in any direction – so you could have the colours going darker at the top and lighter at the bottom – or even sideways.” Prices from £75 per square meter.
2. Add Gingham
Bobbi Beck’s nostalgic gingham wallpaper is the ultimate buy for your Barbiecore interiors. Named Picnic, it’s inspired by vintage aesthetics and has a modern twist. The pastel hues give a soothing feel, while adding some fun. Prices start from £75 per roll, £95 per luxury roll (it’s a heavyweight option with a satin finish and a light sand feel) or £180 per roll for the matt finish self-adhesive peel and stick.
3. Pastel shades
B&Q has reported that since the release of the Barbie trailer, pink paint sales have more than doubled to 115%. Take your pick from the stores collection of over 150 pink paint shades to create your Barbie dreamhouse in style. Interiors experts at B&Q have put together their top-tips to create the Barbiecore look:
A message from the editor:
Let us help you create the home of your dreams! Get ideas & inspiration from Good Homes every month, delivered direct to your door. Visit goodhomesmagazine.com/newsletter to sign up for the weekly Good Homes newsletter.
~ Karen Walker, Editor, Good Homes
- Don’t just stick to one shade of pink – there’s so many shades of pink paint to choose from at B&Q (pre-mixed or create your own!) Using different tones of the hue creates a dynamic and fun feel to your interiors
- Dial the pink up or down – pair pink paint with warm neutrals or darker shades to mix things up, or pair it with bold colours like yellow or green to give a contemporary look and feel
- Paint is for more than just walls and ceilings – get creative and upcycle old furniture – you can paint tables, chairs and cabinets to bring the Barbiecore theme to life throughout the home
- Think of the whole picture – pair your pink walls with brightly coloured furniture and fun accessories to create the ultimate Barbie Dreamhouse look
- Have fun! – don’t be shy, this is the time to be bold and creative with colours!
4. A hint of pink
If you don’t want to go full Barbiecore then a pop of pink could do the trick. Hillary’s have teamed up with content creator and interior designer Stasia Buckle to create these fun, Barbie pink blinds. The blinds are made to measure and are an energy efficient solution for temperature and light.
5. Barbiecore garden party
Come on Barbie let’s go party, is the theme of summer 2023 and Deirdre Mc Gettrick, home expert, co-founder and CEO of ufurnish.com explains how to bring Barbiecore to your garden this summer.”When it comes to decorating your garden, it’s important to take into account your surroundings and the space you have available, as the goal is to create a fairytale-like ambience that doesn’t feel cramped or overwhelming.”
”Soft furnishings are a great place to start for those who want to introduce Barbiecore into their home subtly. Throws and cushions are perfect additions to your garden seating area, and when styled with different textures and patterns, they can instantly transform your space from drab to glam in seconds. For those who are eager to take their decorative skills further, layer a pair of decorative pillows in front of your existing pillow stack to create a jaw-dropping garden area your guests will not want to leave.”
MORE CORES OF THE MONTH TO EXPLORE