CLOSED | WIN a copy of Orchard by James Rich
October 1, 2022
James Rich, a home cook and author from Somerset, recently released his second cookbook, Orchard, and you could win a copy!
His first book, Apple: Recipes from the Orchard, was based on apple recipes inspired by his family’s cider farm, Rich’s Cider in Highbridge. His second celebrates the fruits of the English countryside, from hedgerows to the humble veg patch, and is packed with flavourful recipes for autumn.
You can also give one of his recipes a go for free in this edited extract from the book…
Beer-roasted pork shoulder with apricots
‘I first had pork roasted in beer on a trip to Germany many years ago,’ says James, ‘and there’s something about the hoppy beer cutting through the pork fat that makes a deliciously silky sauce. The addition of star anise and apricots creates a fragrant, sweet flavour…’
- 1.2kg boneless pork shoulder
- 500ml golden ale or light beer
- 3 tbsp runny honey
- 1 star anise
- 3 bay leaves
- 3-4 apricots, stoned & halved
- Sea salt
- Roast potatoes & green vegetables, to serve
- Score the skin of the pork and put it into a high-sided roasting dish – you want it to fit snugly, or the beer will just bubble away. Salt the skin liberally, pour the beer around the sides, and add the honey, star anise and bay leaves over the skin. Cover with foil and leave to marinate in the fridge overnight.
- Take out an hour before you plan to cook, then preheat a fan oven to 180°C (400°F/Gas mark 6). Add the apricots around the pork and cook for 30 mins, then cover with foil and cook for a further 30 mins.
- Remove from the oven and transfer the pork and apricots to a cutting board to rest, then increase the oven heat to 220°C (475°F/Gas mark 9). Remove the skin and put it on a baking sheet, then cook for 15 mins to crackle up while the meat rests. Meanwhile, ladle some of the cooking juices into a small pan and bring to the boil, cooking until it’s reduced to a syrupy consistency.
- Slice the pork and crackling and serve with the apricots, roast potatoes and green vegetables, with a drizzle of the reduced sauce over the meat.
How to enter
For your chance to win one of three copies of Orchard by James Rich (£22, Hardie Grant), fill in the form below:
This competition is now closed
Terms and conditions:
- This competition is open from 1 October-8 November 2022
- Open to UK residents aged 18 and over only
- One entry per person