Best fans to get you through those hot summer nights
June 6, 2019
Lovely as it is, summer can also mean hot, muggy, sleepless nights… unless you have a good fan to keep you cool! Silent, smart, stylish, whatever your needs, there is a fan for you in this list. So, here are some of the best fans on the market right now to help you deal with the heat and get enough sleep so that you’re ready for those summer adventures.
1. Princess 3-Speed Cool Smart Tower Fan
- No need to get up to change the setting, you can control the fan from the comfort of your bed due to its Wi-Fi Smart functionality. It can connect to a smart phone and be voice controlled with either Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant.
- Set 1-8 hour timers or schedule the fan to turn on in your bedroom from anywhere, meaning it will be nice and cool by the time you decide to hit the hay.
- Choose from 3 different oscillating wind modes: Normal, Natural or Sleep.
2. The Dyson Cool AM07 Tower Fan
- No blades and it amplifies the surrounding air to give an uninterrupted flow of cool air.
- Awarded ‘Quiet Mark’ accreditation.
- Can be programmed to turn off after pre-set intervals, from 15 minutes to 9 hours, so no wasted energy once you’re comfortably asleep!
Shop the The Dyson Cool AM07 Tower Fan
3. MeacoFan 1056 Air Circulator
- As an air circulator, this fan has multi-directional air flow and bounces air off walls and ceilings to evenly cool the whole room.
- With the ECO mode, the fan can regulate its own speed depending on the room temperature, meaning you don’t have to get up and keep manually adjusting it throughout the night.
- Awarded ‘Quiet Mark’ accreditation.
- Features an off timer so you don’t wake up feeling cold.
Shop the MeacoFan 1056 Air Circulator
4. Dimplex 360 Turbo Fan
- Can be set to oscillate at 30, 90, 180 or 360 degrees.
- Only 9 inches and comes with convenient carry handle so can easily be moved around the house or bedroom. This means it’s also easy to store when summer is over.
- Has a sleep mode which varies the fan speed and turns the lights off.
Shop the Dimplex 360 Turbo Fan
Do I need an air conditioning unit or a fan?
Fans and air conditioning units both offer respite from the heat, but they function very differently. Fans blow air over your skin, cooling you down, but not down the room. Air conditioners pull hot air into the unit, cooling it down with a constant process of evaporation and condensation. While air conditioners are more effective at cooling the entire room, not just you, they use a lot more energy than fans – up to 100 times more – which means bigger energy bills. So a fan, which is also cheaper to buy because the technology is much simpler, will also have less impact on the environment. However, by speeding up the rate at which moisture evaporates from your skin, fans can make you more dehydrated, so it’s best not to use them when the mercury tips over 35ºC because it can actually exacerbate conditions like heat exhaustion.
Read more: 5 of the best portable air-con units
5. Dimplex Ion Fresh Cooling Tower Fan
- Stylish design with copper finish, allowing this fan to become part of your bedroom decor.
- Includes sleep mode that gradually reduces fan speed.
- Built-in Ioniser that keeps the air healthy by removing airborne dust particles.
- Tilt feature to adjust the direction of the airflow.
Shop the Dimplex Ion Fresh Cooling Tower Fan
6. Honeywell QuietSet Stand Fan
- 5 speed/sound settings and adjustable height, so you can get it just right for your room.
- Includes sleep setting which is designed to be ‘ultra-quiet’. Honeywell claims it is 25% quieter than previous models.
- No tools required to set this fan up and its removable grill makes it easy to clean too.
Shop the Honeywell QuietSet Stand Fan
7. ElectriQ eiQ-AM07 Tower Fan with Mood Light
- Unique LED lighting to create a calming, atmospheric glow while doubling as a night light! You can choose from pure white, refreshing green, tranquil purple, cooling blue or turn it off altogether.
- It takes up little space and is easy to move from room to room, while still able to produce a powerful blast.
- Can be programmed to turn off after pre-set intervals from 30 minutes to 7.5 hours.
Image: Appliances Direct