Update your bedroom with a monochrome two-tone scheme
Update a striking black-and-white scheme with tactile finishes and hand-dyed fabrics.
Love this bedroom
- Using just two tones provides a calm and peaceful atmosphere in a bedroom. Let pattern take centre stage by keeping walls and floors plain and simple.
- Draw the eye upwards with a charcoal ceiling – choose a softer shade of grey in a smaller space.
- A statement carved wooden headboard will become the focal point if you pare back other furniture. Try curved shapes and smooth edges for a streamlined result.
- This look needs plenty of props to provide interest. Mix traditional pieces with unexpected iconic designs, such as an anglepoise lamp, so your collection looks considered and curated, rather than cluttered.
Keep to a strict palette for a striking result – just add flashes of green from plants and cacti for on-trend colour.
Macramé hanging planters and beaded chandeliers lend an artisan aesthetic and add interest to plain white walls.
Be inspired by a Middle-Eastern bazaar and team funky diamond designs with bowls and woven baskets.
Introduce an Arabian flavour with a beautifully mis-matched patterned tea set and textiles.
A tallboy provides plenty of storage without taking up much floor space.
Decorating with rich textures
Exposed Floors – Use worn materials and weathered stonee effect tiles en masse in neutral schemes to prevent them from becoming too bland and clinical.
Carved Wood – Look for furniture and accessories with ornate, artisan features – they add 3D pattern and bohemian character to any room.
How to create a focal point
- Begin by wallpapering an alcove with a woven-effect design (try Wallpaperdirect) to add texture.
- Add oversized pendant shades – this intricate fretwork style from Barker & Stonehouse will cast light and shadow in interesting shapes.
- Finish with decorative details such as vases, artwork and a lamp, all in a monochrome palette – make small groupings of items for the best results.
For a more feminine take on this scheme, opt for smaller motifs, luxurious white bed linen and lime-washed detailing on wood. Layer with fuchsia throws and floral accessories and paint a picture rail in vibrant magenta to brighten up pale walls.
Credit: Maisons du monde (maisonsdumonde.com)