Prepare in advance for a busier school schedule with these simple yet delicious dinner recipes.
Get back in the swing of making healthy dinners that are nutritious and delicious for when the kids go back to school next week.
Inspire your next meal plan with these quick and easy recipes.
Salmon rainbow salad bowl
Image: Seasonal Spuds
- Serves 2
Bursting with vitamins and minerals as well as flavour, this healthy bowl packs a substantial punch.
- 8 cauliflower florets
- 8 stems of purple sprouting broccoli
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 2 tbsp turmeric
- 2 salmon fillets
- 2 red peppers sliced
- 8 Cornish New potatoes
- 2 handfuls of watercress or rocket
For the dressing
- 3 tbsp low fat yogurt
- 2 tsp rapeseed oil
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- Zest of a lemon
- 1 tbsp fresh tarragon, finely chopped
- Salt and black pepper to season
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (fan 180°C).
- Mix the turmeric and oil together.
- Place the broccoli and cauliflower onto a roasting dish, drizzle with 1 tbsp of the turmeric oil and roast for 10-15 minutes. Add the red pepper and roast for another 10 minutes until tender.
- Wash the potatoes and simmer gently in salted water for around 10 – 15 minutes until they’re tender and cooked through. Remove from heat, drain and cut into bite-sized chunks.
- Meanwhile place the salmon fillets onto a roasting tin, spread with the remaining turmeric mix, season and roast for 15 minutes, until cooked through.
- Mix all the ingredients for the dressing together in a large bowl. Once the potatoes, broccoli and cauliflower have cooled place them into the bowl with the dressing along with the watercress.
Image: Sealy UK
- Serves 4
This vegan chilli is packed full of legumes, which are a good source of protein and a great option if you are plant based.
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red chilli, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 400g tin black beans
- 400g tin cannellini beans
- 400g tin red kidney beans
- 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ avocado, diced
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander
- Rice to serve if desired
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large lidded pan over medium heat.
- Add the carrots, onion, garlic and chilli to the pan and sauté for 5-10 minutes until softened. Meanwhile, drain and rinse the beans.
- Add the cacao powder, cumin, chilli powder, smoked paprika and tomato puree to the pan. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the beans, chopped tomatoes and vegetable stock to the pan and stir. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook with the lid on for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the lid and allow to cook for another 15 minutes.
- Serve topped with the diced avocado, coriander and rice if desired.
Image: Cambridge Weight Plan
- Serves 2
Whip up this tasty Mexican dish which will be a hit with all of the family.
- Spray oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, deseeded and diced
- 1–2 tsp chilli powder
- 300ml Passata
- 200g can red kidney beans, drained
- 150g cooked chicken, skinned and cubed
- 4 x 22g soft corn tortillas
- 30g reduced-fat cheddar cheese, grated
- Chopped parsley or chives for sprinkling
- Green salad to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4.
- Lightly spray a frying pan with oil and set over a medium heat. Sizzle the onion and green pepper for 5 minutes until softened.
- Get the spices flowing by stirring in the chilli powder, cook for 1 minute. Next add the Passata and kidney beans and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and cook gently for 5 minutes, it should be smelling good right about now! Stir in the chicken and heat through gently. Season to taste with a dash of salt and pepper.
- Pile some of the mixture on to each tortilla and then get rolling. Once rolled up, place them side by side (seam-side down) in a rectangular ovenproof dish.
- Drizzle the remaining sauce over and around the tortillas. Get cheesy and sprinkle the grated cheddar over the top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes (if you can wait this long!), until bubbling and golden brown.
- Serve hot, sprinkled with parsley or chives, with a crisp green salad.
Tahini stir fry
Image: Cauli Rice
- Serves 2
For a simple and healthy dish that packs in a lot of flavour, this tahini stir fry is the ideal mid-week treat.
- 1 pack Broccoli Cauli rice
- 1 small red onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 large carrot
- 150g tenderstem brocolli
- 1 can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- Olive Oil Spray or coconut oil
For the dressing
- 2 heaped tbsp light tahini
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tsp honey
- Tbsp tamari/coconut aminos
- Squeeze of fresh lime juice
- Pinch of chilli flakes
- Finely dice the onion and garlic clove. Heat a little oil in a frying pan and add in the onion.
- Cook until softened, then add the garlic clove and continue to cook over a medium heat.
- Shred the carrot using a julienne peeler and add these to the pan along with the broccoli and chickpeas. Cook everything until the veggies are vibrant in colour, but still slightly crunchy.
- Meanwhile, to make the dressing, combine all of the ingredients and mix until smooth. Gradually drizzle in a little water and mix to reach a pourable consistency.
- Add half of the tahini dressing to the stirfry mixture and stir through so that everything is evenly coated.
- Serve into bowls with extra dressing on the side and garnish with some fresh coriander and sesame seeds.
Linguine with pickled walnuts and herbs
- Serves 4
Indulge in this creamy pasta dish without feeling guilty afterwards.
- 500g packet of dried linguine
- Salt and pepper
- 200g packet of cream cheese
- 100g Opies Pickled Walnuts, drained and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped herbs (parsley, chives and basil)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 50g Parmesan Cheese, finely grated
- In a large pan bring some salted water to the boil and cook the pasta according to pack instructions.
- Whilst the pasta cooks, make the sauce by combining cream cheese, Opies Pickled Walnuts and herbs, reserving some of the herbs for garnishing, season with salt and pepper.
- When the pasta is cooked, drain and return to the pan.
- Stir through the cheese mixture and serve immediately.
- Drizzle each portion with a little olive oil and scatter over Parmesan Cheese and a few chopped herbs.
Make sure to let us know whether you try out one of these yummy recipes. Tweet us @goodhomesmag or post a comment on our Facebook page.