Try this delicious vegan twist on the classic corn dog for your next garden BBQ
Image: Linda McCartney/Big Easy
Vegan brand of Food pioneer Linda McCartney and BBQ and Lobster shack chain Big Easy recently collaborated to come up with a delicious vegan hot dog recipe, or should we say 'Not Dog' recipe.
This tasty snack is a reimagining of the classic corn dog and sees vegetarian sausages dipped in corn batter and deep fried to a golden brown. Then they're placed in a soft bun and loaded with smoky BBQ sauce, tangy chilli jam and topped with crispy onions.
So, what are you waiting for? Stop drooling and get making!
(Makes 2 double size hot dogs)
For the hot dog
- 4 Vegetarian Sausages (e.g. Linda McCartney’s)
- 2 Large hot dog buns
Corn Flour Batter
- 75g Plain Flour
- 45g Yellow Cornmeal
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1/2 tbsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tbsp Vegan Egg Replacer
- 1 tbsp water
- 125ml Oat Milk
- Sunflower oil
- 50g Plain Flour
- 1tsp Cayenne Seasoning
- 1tsp Paprika Seasoning
- Pinch of salt & Pepper
- 1 Sliced White Onion
- 2tbsp Old Bay Seasoning
- 100g Plain Flour
- 1tbsp fresh coriander, finely chopped
- Chilli Jam
- Vegan Barbeque sauce
1. Firstly, make the Corn Dog batter by combining the plain flour, yellow cornmeal, sugar and baking powder in a large bowl. Then add in the egg replacer with the water and gradually mix in the oat milk until you get a smooth batter.
2. Next, make your seasoned flour by mixing together the plain flour, cayenne, paprika, salt & pepper in a bowl. Roll the vegetarian sausages in the seasoned plain flour to cover the sausages. Set aside to cook later.
3. Next make your tobacco onions by thinly slicing an onion into half-moon shapes and tossing them well in plain flour and Old Bay seasoning.
4. In a large pot over medium heat, add enough sunflower oil to come halfway up the sides and heat to 170c. Dip the vegetarian sausages into the corn batter mix and then fry in the oil until golden brown (around 5 minutes). Ensure you turn the sausages throughout cooking to ensure an even cook and golden colour. Once cooked, remove the sausage from the oil and place on kitchen towel to absorb excess oil.
5. While the corn dogs are resting, cook your tobacco onions. Use the same pan of oil as you did for the sausages and add the onion mixture to the oil and deep fry until golden brown (around 4 minutes). Remove from the oil and drain.
6. Serve two 'Not Dogs' in each of your hot dog buns, topped with crispy tobacco onions, chilli Jam and Barbeque sauce, Garnish with fresh coriander.
Give this vegan hot dog recipe a go and send us a pic by tweeting us @goodhomesmag or posting on our Facebook page.