This cracking crispy chips recipe is the friend your burger has been looking for...
Image: DJ BBQ
I can guarantee when you're presented with a serving of chips you are one of two people; either immediately seeking out and devouring the crispiest chips of the bunch or putting them aside and saving the best 'til last.
If that's the case, then imagine if there was a way to get an entire plate of perfectly crispy chips. Well, luckily, there is with this super simple crispy chip recipe! It's a great BBQ crowd pleaser or even just good company for your Friday night burger. So stop limiting yourself to just those few crispy chips at the bottom of the pile...
- 4 large baking potatoes
- Vegetable oil, for deep-fat frying (at least 2 litres)
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (350°F/ gas mark 4). Or if you’re cooking outside, get your grill nice and hot.
- Bake your potatoes whole for 45 minutes –1 hour, until tender. Or, for smoky vibes, cookover indirect heat on the grill, for 1– 1 and a half hours, depending on the size of the potato.You can throw some wood on the coals for extra smoky flavour.
- Leave the potatoes to cool for 1 hour (or overnight).
- Pour the oil into a large deep saucepan (or you can use a deep-fat fryer) and set it over a high heat. Once the temperature reaches 180°C (350°F), you are good to fry.
- Cut the potatoes into wedges and deep fry for 1–2 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove onto some paper towels to drain, and season with salt and pepper before serving.
By grabbing just a few herbs and spices that you have laying around your counter top, or in your larder, you can take your crispy chips to the next level. Here are a few combos we suggest...
- Chili and thyme
- Garlic and parsley
- Lime and ginger salt
- Curry salt