French pâtissier Eric Lanlard shows us how to create this frangipane style tart.
Eaten for epiphany to celebrate the arrival of the Three Kings to the baby Jesus 12 days after Christmas, this tart is made with layers of buttery puff pastry, laced with dark rum to provide rich caramel notes and glazed with sugar syrup.
For the pastry:
- 125g caster sugar
- 125g ground almonds
- 125g unsalted butter, softened
- 3 eggs
- 1 tbsp dark rum
- 500g ready-made puff pastry (ideally made with butter)
- Sugar syrup, for brushing
For the egg wash:
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp milk
- Mixing bowl
- Rolling pin
- Baking sheet
- Baking parchment
- Pastry brush
- Sharp knife
- In a mixing bowl, mix together the sugar and ground almonds to create a paste.
- Add the butter and cream it together until thoroughly mixed.
- Beat in the eggs one by one, mixing thoroughly between each addition. Mix in the rum.
- Divide the puff pastry into two even portions. Roll out each portion and cut out two puff pastry circles, each 25cm across and 3-4mm thick.
- Place one puff pastry disc on a baking sheet lined with baking parchment.
- Make the egg wash by beating together the yolk and milk.
- Spoon the almond paste into the centre of the pastry disc, leaving a 5cm edge around the diameter.
- Brush the edges of the pastry disc with the egg wash.
- Place the other pastry disc over the almond filing and seal the edges together firmly.
- Chill the Galette des rois for 1 hour in the refrigerator.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 4.
- Brush the Galette des rois with the egg wash. Using a small, sharp knife cut the edges into a scallop pattern. Using the tip of the knife cut a sun ray pattern on the top.
- Bake the galette des rois for 40 minutes, until golden.
- Remove from the oven and brush at once with sugar syrup.
Check out Eric's Instagram page for recipes and more:
Have you recreated Eric's Galette de Rois? Tweet your bakes @goodhomesmag, tag us in your Instagram posts, using the hashtag #thisgoodhome for your chance to be featured on our Instagram feed or share your breadful puns on our Facebook page.
Make sure you grab your earlybird tickets to meet baking stars like Eric Lanlard at the 2020 Cake & Bake Show!
The UK's biggest baking event will be held at Excel, London in October 2020.
The show is brimming with all things baking, cake decorating and sugarcraft. Gain insight from celebrity experts, stock your shelves with the latest baking equipment and be wowed by the spectacular Cake Competition and exquisite wedding cake display tables, plus many more treats for your taste.