Give your loved ones a special foodie gift this Christmas with homemade ratatouille chutney
Photo credit: Waitrose
Looking for an edible gift that truly touches your loved ones hearts? Don't opt for fancy shop-bought condiments, DIY by following this nononese homemade ratatouille chutney recipe.
In three simple steps you'll be on your way to whipping up jars of tantilisingly tangy chutney - the ideal present for anyone who loves a seasonal cheeseboard. Get ready, prep, cook!
Prep time 15 mins cook time 20 mins + cooling makes 4 medium-sized jars
- 750g mixed red peppers, courgettes and aubergines chopped (about 1 of each)
- 250g tomatoes, chopped
- 2 red onions, chopped
- 1 Bramley apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 red chilli, seeded and chopped
- 175g light brown muscovado sugar
- 250ml cider vinegar
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp fennel or coriander seeds
- 2 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Place the chopped mixed vegetables, apple and chilli in a large pan and stir in the sugar, vinegar, herbs and then the spices and salt.
- Cook gently on the hob, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil and simmer gently for about 20 minutes until the chutney thickens and the vegetables are lovely and tender
- Cool slightly before spooning into sterilised jars, top with a waxed disc and steal tightly with a lid.