Great British Bake Off winner, Candice Brown, shares one of her grandparents' most-loved dessert recipes
Photo by Ellis Parrinder
Give your loved ones a homemade gift that's been baked with love by following this truly scrumptious recipe, inspired by Great British Bake Off champ, Candice Brown's, nanna.
Filled with flavoursome fruits, nutritious nuts and chocolately goodness, these florentines deserve a place on every plate around your dinner table whatever the occasion!
- 60g unsalted butter
- 170g golden caster sugar
- 30g plain flour
- 150ml double cream
- 115g flaked almonds
- 115g toasted pecans, chopped
- 85g flaked coconut
- 85g dried apricots, chopped
- 60g dried cherries
- 200g dark chocolate (minimum 70% cocoa solids)
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/170°C fan/gas 5. Melt the butter together with the sugar in a saucepan over a low heat. When the sugar has all dissolved and the liquid is golden and bubbling, add the flour and mix well until smooth over a low heat.
- Remove from the heat and slowly add the cream, stirring the whole time until the mixture is smooth and glossy. Add the flaked almonds, chopped pecans, coconut flakes, apricots and cherries and mix well until everything is combined and covered with the creamy mixture.
- Line four baking sheets with greaseproof paper. Drop heaped teaspoons of the mixture on to the paper with 2cm between each one. Place in the oven near the top and bake for 12–15 mins (switch the baking sheets around halfway through).
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 3–4 mins before transferring to a wire rack with a flat palette knife. Leave to cool completely.
- Melt the chocolate and use it to coat the underside of each Florentine. Allow to set slightly before zig-zagging a fork across to make a pattern. Leave, chocolate-side up, to set.
Why not visit the Ideal Home Show this spring, where Candice will whipping up a storm at London, Olympia from the 17th March - 2nd April 2018 - hurry, get your tickets here and enter to code GH241 to redeem our exclusive 2 for 1 ticket offer.